Saturday, August 13, 2011

DCF number 5

>

> I have finally finished Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. This book won the
> National Book Award and has been nominated for the DCF as well. It is easy to see why the book won the NBA-- it is well written and gives compelling insight into the mind of a child with Asperger's Syndrome. I would be surprised, however, if the book won the DCF, since it may not be as appealing to young readers as others in the running. As an adult who has worked with children like the protagonist, Caitlin, I was very intrigued by the internal monologue that dominated the book. I was also interested in the overall premise: that of coming to a sense of closure after a devastating school shooting. It was easy to put down for days on end, though, because it lacked the fast paced narrative I have become accustomed to, and was inherently predictable. That being said, it is worth the read, especially if you know someone with Asperger's.
>
>

No comments: